In Apollona, the village of Apollo, we will have the chance to experience the real island hospitality, have a hands-on cooking lesson given by a local lady, taste authentic food and wine, make our own wax-ointment with the local olive oil and bee wax, learn about the ancient and modern history of the village, while being guided to the unique folklore museum. The -19th century- church of the village, built on the ruins of an ancient temple, is also of a special interest. Lastly at the traditional tavern we are going to taste authentic local dishes, some of them made by our own hands in the traditional way.
- Arrival at Apollona village.
- Morning drink in traditional coffee house.
- Create some local delicacies.
- Visit to the local folklore museum
- Make the traditional wax-ointment.
- Walk to traditional winery and taste the local varieties.
- Traditional meal.
- Visit to the village church.
- Free time.
DIFFICULTY GRADE : -
- A typical village environment welcome to anyone regardless age or physical condition.
COST€90 / person
TIME OF DEPARTURE : 08:30 – 09:00
TIME OF ARRIVAL : 16:15-16:45
DURATION : Full day excursion ~ 8 hours
MAXIMUM PARTICIPANTS : 16
• First aid kit.
• The presence of an escort for every group (1 escort per 8 people).
• Transport with fully air-conditioned vehicles (mini-bus or other according to the number of participants).
• Welcome drink (greek coffee or local herbal tea).
• Full meal of authentic local dishes in a traditional tavern.
• Cooking lesson.
• Entrance fees.
The village of Apollona, right in the center of the island (53 km. away from Rhodes Town), lies at the foot of Profitis Helias, surrounded by the endless green of olive trees, herbs and aromatic plants.
The –less than 1000- inhabitants of the village, still attached to tradition, are always hospitable and the religious feasts attract lots of Rhodians and visitors to the village. The local folklore museum is also worth visiting; there you can see and get carried away by the atmosphere of the traditional house, costumes and handcrafts, while the presentation of the manganese olive oil exposure will impress you. Numerous archeological finds and the ruins of the knights’ castle in the courtyard of the museum demonstrate in a unique way the long history of the place. An altogether unique experience!